Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Digital Storytelling

Digital storytelling by Kate Kemker in our text states that digital storytelling does not focus on the activity but rather the tool to create a story. Students first create a story board on paper then record their story with a camera then use the computer to edit their story. When students can create their own story, they feel more involved in the work, it brings out the students creativity. Students also like to use cameras and computers so for them to put their story onto a camera and a computer will definitely strike their interest and make them want to do the work more.

Students seem to understand mathematics better with visualization. In the class that I have been observing in the teacher gives each student base 10 blocks and then uses the smart board and creates base 10 blocks on the smart board, the students have their own blocks to work with but the teacher also models the problem on the smart board, this is a great visual for students when working on math problems. The text states that graphing calculators make math seem more real to them.

The TV has a lot of information both good and bad, I do believe that you can learn a lot from TV, my son is proof of that. He was a TVaholic when he was little, he would know things and when I watch, now in the 6th grade he is GT and in advanced courses. The TV is a great visual it is not just hearing the instructions but you can see the instructions.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate you posting an example of a visual activity you recently observed. It sounds very interesting! I'm a very visual learner myself, especially when it comes to math. I feel that kind of activity would have helped me out tremendously back when I was younger. I'll have to mention it if I end up observing a math class in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,
    It was interesting to read your post and the connection you made to a math class using technology in the classroom. I am glad to see that this works throughout the curriculum.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn,

    I completely agree with you on mathematics being better with visualization. When I took my college algebra course, I constantly watched videos online on how to properly complete certain math functions. I honestly dont think that I would have been able to complete the course had I not had the online videos to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that math is better absorbed if enhanced with visualization. Child at lower grades would benefit so much from this.

    ReplyDelete